4 hours 55 min
These puff pastry parcels are delicious! Chicken breasts are marinated with garlic, then layered with basil pesto, spinach, Feta cheese and sun-dried tomatoes, before being wrapped in a buttery puff pastry and baked. Serve with a side salad.
Recipe by: Tony Beckett
— Ingredients —
- 3 tablespoons crushed garlic
- 1 egg yolk
- 60g fresh spinach, chopped, divided into 4
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast fillets
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 20g sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 4 tablespoons crumbled herbed Feta cheese
- 1 puff pastry sheet, cut in half
— Method —
Prep:20min › Cook:35min › Extra time:4hr marinating › Ready in:4hr55min
- In a small bowl, use a fork to combine crushed garlic and egg yolk. Place chicken breasts in a shallow glass dish and spread both sides with egg mixture. Cover dish with cling film and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight (recommended).
- Preheat oven to 190 C / Gas 5. Grease a baking tray.
- Place one half of the puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface Place a portion of spinach in the centre of the pastry sheet. Remove one chicken breast from marinade, shaking off any excess; place on top of spinach. Spread 1 tablespoon pesto over chicken, layer with half the sun-dried tomatoes, sprinkle with half the Feta cheese and top with 1 portion of spinach. Fold pastry sheet around chicken, using fingers or fork to seal pastry seam. Place chicken seam side down on baking tray. Repeat steps with the second half of the puff pastry sheet and remaining chicken breast.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Test for the core temperature by using a meat probe, the core temperature must reach 73°C or by cutting through centre of chicken breast; if juices run clear and the chicken has no signs of pinknessthe chicken is cooked.
If you can’t find herbed Feta cheese, buy plain Feta and add a pinch of dried basil, oregano or dried Italian herbs.