Moist chocolate brownies with icing… and a secret ingredient! Courgette provides incomparable moistness to these rich brownies.
Recipe by: Tony Beckett
— Ingredients —
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 300g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 250g plain flour
- 40g best quality cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 250g grated courgette
- 60g chopped walnuts
- 6 tablespoons best quality cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 250g icing sugar
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
— Method —
Prep:15min › Cook:30min › Ready in:45min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and flour a 22x33cm baking tin.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, 40g cocoa, bicarb and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Fold in the courgette and walnuts. Spread evenly into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until brownies spring back when gently touched.
- To make the icing, melt together the 6 tablespoons of cocoa and butter; set aside to cool. In a medium bowl, blend together the icing sugar, milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in the cocoa mixture. Spread over cooled brownies before cutting into squares.
Dairy free brownies
These brownies are dairy free, and the icing can be made dairy free by using margarine and soya milk.